Monday, December 3, 2012

On The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead


 In addition to Zone One, I read Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide. This was a pretty fun read. By the end of it I was completely convinced that zombies were real and was completely ready to go out and get all the gear I would need for a zombie apocalypse! That said, I think that's the sign of a good book. I had started reading the book a few years ago but never got around to finishing it, so I decided to go ahead this time around. I think some of the most interesting parts of the book, which kept me reading, were the examples of when and where 'zombie attacks' occurred. The author is incredibly convincing that these moments in history really happened, and manages to sweep you up in paranoia too if you're not careful, though I think that's what gives this book its charm. I found that the beginning was my favorite part, and toward the middle, but I will admit that after awhile things seemed to get repetitive. I felt that the scenarios Max Brook's would describe were repeating themselves, and his survival methods were rather redundant. Eventually instead of an interesting book I really felt like I was reading a manual. This aspect of it could also support the authors intention, however. However it was intended, whether to convince people that the dead walk among the living or to just have a good time with a new fad, I really enjoyed the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment