Monday, December 3, 2012

On Labyrinth


I watched Labyrinth as an adult and not as a kid. I think that plays a huge part of how it is interpreted. For instance, I've never really had a big attachment to the old puppets used in these sorts of movies. My friends have always loved them and that is pretty much the reason the movie was recommended to me by them, so I figured I'd give it a try for this class. David Bowie was being himself, and I've got to say he was probably my favorite part. I can't say that I understand why the movie is such a big deal to people, but I did enjoy watching it for the first time. I thought the creatures in the movie were neat despite not having a large attachment to puppets. I definitely feel like they give the movie a very unique quality which reflects the feeling of the adventure. I like that there are dark undertones to the movie, but I find the making of the movie to be even more interesting. Jim Henson's son would describe the movie's release as his father's most difficult point in his career, and he never got to see his movie gain the cult following it now has. I think it's a neat movie though I'm not one of its biggest fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment