Monday, November 26, 2012

On Bone: One Volume Edition



The first time I picked up this book it was on my brother's recommendation. I thought the cover looked neat and I loved the expressions of the dragon. I've now read this story twice now, and despite its thick volume, it's a very easy read. The beginning is always my favorite part of this story, however. There's a sense of unknowing, of adventure and mystery. I can't help but feel that as the puzzle gets solved in this story, the world in which it is set becomes smaller and less interesting. I also feel that the end of the story tends to break down and become muddled toward the end, and isn't nearly as easy to follow nor as appealing to me as the beginning.
That said, I enjoy the environment that the Bones find themselves in. While the forest they land in is full of friends, it is also full of incredible dangers and mysteries. I also enjoy Thorn as a character, though I never really understood some of her motivations and personality. My favorite part of Bone is the setting itself, the forest full of creatures, and the small towns full of farmers and otherwise oblivious dwellers of the land. I always imagined these people's lives to be those of magic, but also of danger, as there are many monsters designed to threaten their existence. The characters themselves are interesting to me, but I always seem to look at this book for the beginning stages and the feeling of the forest as it is first being introduced to the reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment